Re: Last Call: Policy Statement on the Day Pass Experiment

2010-05-07 10:55:09

On Fri, 7 May 2010, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

I think that, as a temporary measure to deal with the current
experiment, the IESG taking a decision is acceptable.  Excluding
day-pass-only people is completely defensible because the rules were
written in a period when day passes didn't exist.  So nobody who was
then eligible is made ineligible by this decision.  (It is not
relevant that someone "would have" used a day pass had it previously
been available: we do not make rules for every possible world, only
for the one we're in.)

The converse is also true ... if this policy had been previosly stated,
and I felt a need to stack the nomcom with myself, an otherwise
unqualified candidate, I could have decided to pay the full registration
instead of the day pass and attended exactly the same IETF functions.

I just don't see the difference between being dedicated enough to the
IETF to purchase a day-pass and attend one day plus the added main tent
activities and 4 meetings ago purchasing a full registration and attending
exactly the same number of meetings and main tent functions.

The RFC has already been cited and it just says attend. A day pass
consitutes attending ... changing the english definition after the fact
is changing the rules after the fact.

And a change which really says nothing about an individual's ability to
provide useful input in the nomcom process.

The appropriate statement from the IESG at this time is to simply confirm
that the english word 'attend' encompases day-pass attendance. At the
present time, the maximum corruption, if it is indeed meaningful, is two
day passes and 1 full meeting. Still a lot of dedication to the IETF as
measured my travel time. I suspect that the nature of day-pass vs. full
registration is that folks for whom travel costs are a major fraction of
the expense would only use day passes for local IETFs ... but it really
doean't matter.

Meeting attendence as defined by registration is such a weak measure that
this whole discussion is really pretty silly.

Dave Morris