Re: Last Call: Policy Statement on the Day Pass Experiment

2010-05-10 17:48:50
    Date:        Mon, 10 May 2010 16:25:12 -0400
    From:        Russ Housley <housley(_at_)vigilsec(_dot_)com>

  | From the discussion at the plenary, it was clear to me that some people
  | expected the purchase of a day pass to count as participating in that
  | IETF meeting, and that others had the opposite expectation.  Both views
  | have been expressed on this thread.

That much I can understand, and that is all OK.

  | Thus, an interpretation of the rule stated in RFC 3777 is needed.

But given that we have people with different opinions, we cannot just
pick one and say "that's it" - whichever one you pick, you can't get
consensus because there are lots of people who prefer the other.

That's what working groups are good for - slower certainly - but they can
lead to either compromise, or perhaps an entirely different way of looking
at the problem.

There's not going to be any quick fix for this, and aside from some people's
desire to have one rule over the other (for reasons that still aren't
clear to me) there is still no actual problem.   Nothing is actually
breaking because of this.

Go slow, do it properly.

kre