Re: Last Call: Policy Statement on the Day Pass Experiment

2010-05-10 13:25:13
At 10:12 AM 5/7/2010, John C Klensin wrote:
To the extent to which we want to open this can of worms (or are
forced into it by necessity), there is a second "fundamental
'constitutional' difference" here.  As I read BCP 101, it is
pretty clear that the IAOC (or IASA generally) are forbidden to
make policy or carry out experiments whose implications extend
beyond the financial/administrative.   If I recall, the IAOC

The IAOC is the body that deals with financial and administrative matters. Decisions taken by the IAOC indirectly affect policy. It's up to the IAOC to see that it does not cross the policy line or else it will cause other problems.

decided to initiate the "day pass" experiment using exactly the
model you describe above: the community was asked for input and
then the IAOC made the decision based on the IAOC's preferences.
I assume that no one thought of the Nomcom implications despite
the presence of the IAB Chair and IETF Chair and some IAB and
IESG-appointed representatives on the IAOC -- people whose role
is presumably to catch just such things.  But, if there is a
constitutional process issue here, it extends well beyond the
IESG issuing a process clarification about the implications of
an experiment.

Didn't the IPR WG make a similar mistake? The lesson to be learned is that even if the community is asked for input, some problems only come to light during the implementation phase. We can ask why the representatives mentioned above didn't point to a possible problem with the experiment. But that won't solve the problem.

The various BCPs do not specify who is the "authority" to address the problem. The IETF can ignore the process and come up with a solution. Henk Uijterwaal commented on the numbers and asked whether it is worth solving the problem. Jari Arkko mentioned that a statement can be treated as the usual documents. The "process" followed by this Last Call is as follows:

1. The IESG discussed about the statement. The draft statement represents the view of the IESG.

2. The IESG starts a Last Call. We already know that the IESG is in favor of this statement.

3. The IESG decides that the statement can be adopted as that seems to be the community consensus.

Some twit (yours truly) opposes the statement. The twit explores the options available.

(i) An appeal is filed. That's not really a good course of action given Items 1 and 3.

(ii) Assuming eligibility for NomCom, a random number generator is used to select an IESG member for a Recall petition.

Option 2 could serve as a reminder to IETF-related bodies not to cross the line. If we consider this issue as one about the "constitutional" process, we will be leaning towards that option.

Regards,
-sm