Re: Last Call: Policy Statement on the Day Pass Experiment

2010-05-08 03:49:45
At 04:57 AM 5/7/2010, Robert Elz wrote:
I have two (different types of) comments to make.    First, and most
important by far, is WTF ???   I understand the need for IESG "Statements"
from time to time, but the very worst thing to possibly to be making such
statements about is the process by which the IESG (and more of course) is
selected - if there was anything about which there's an obvious and clear
conflict of interest, it is this.

The idea behind this statement is to avoid opening a discussion about NomCom. The IESG probably sees the need to step in to solve the problem. We could view this as a statement to clarify an administrative issue. However the subject line says "policy statement". The IESG does not get to decide on policy for the IETF. That's done through BCPs.

This is an issue that must be sent to a working group to decide - and in
the interim, since we know that working groups take time to resolve issues,
this should be handled  in the standard way that nomcom questions are
handled - by the nomcom chair making a decision (after taking advice from
wherever he or she deems necessary).

Yes. But the IESG hasn't been using working groups for non-technical issues. The better course, as you mentioned above, is to leave it to the current NomCom Chair to see whether there is a problem and how to address it.

That the IESG have considered making a statement on this issue to the
extent of sending a last call on one appalls me - and suggests to me that
the incoming nomcom is going to have a lot of work to do, as there it
seems as if there are not many incumbents who should be returned.

This is the kind of issue that gets forgotten after some time. There is a way to send a message to the IESG if you appalled. :-) That requires NomCom qualification.

That said, to the issue itself, for whatever working group is eventually
tasked with dealing with this issue - I would expect among a general
overhaul of the nomcom member eligibility rules - it has been 6 years now
since 3777 was published, plenty of time to consider how well it is working,
and whether the environment has changed enough to need a change - the day
pass thing for IETF meetings being one of many changes in the IETF environment
in the past 6 years.

The eligibility rules are arbitrary.  There is no best way for eligibility.

  | The IAOC is conducting a day pass
  | experiment, making it necessary to augment the NomCom eligibility rules
  | to address IETF participants that make use of a day pass.

The problem is that this turned into a long running experiment. The question of NomCom eligibility was raised well after the first run. You may wish to ask the IAOC why it ran an experiment without giving enough thought to how it affects NomCom.

I am not sure that follows.   Nowhere in 3777 does it define what "attended"
means - it has typically been implemented as "paid to attend" (so the
person's name is in the list of registered attendees) but that is certainly
not what 3777 says - it says "attended" and just "attended".

Do we really have to define what "attended" means? If it is going to mean "paid" to attend", I would strongly object as the ability to pay favors a class of participants. In the text you quoted from RFC 3777, it is mentioned that the IETF Secretariat determines whether the attendee fulfills the requirements. That makes it an administrative matter. By using this statement for more than a one-time experiment, the IESG would change that into a way to disqualify attendees outside the Standards Process.

  | The IESG observes that attending a single day of the IETF meeting is not
  | sufficient for a new participant to learn the culture of the IETF or the
  | qualities that would make an effective IETF leader.

Most probably not, but on no reading of 3777 could a single day possibly
qualify someone for noncom membership - the very minimum would be 3 days
(3 meetings, at a day each) - or perhaps 3 meetings at 5 minutes each,
to collect the (fully paid) registration packet and leave...

The path to evil is paved with good intentions. And that's where we are going if we have to define the requirements for understanding IETF culture. It is not up to the IESG to observe what constitutes sufficient exposure to IETF culture.

Frankly, this intermixing of the experience issue, and payment, is absurd.

Yes.

Of course, all of this is for a working group to discuss and decide, and
certainly not for the IESG - the IESG should *never* make any pronouncements
that affect the nomcom operation, only a properly formed working group with
noomcom process issues in its charter should ever do that.

It is convenient for the IESG to make these proclamations. The "constitutionality" has never been tested.