Re: Advance travel info for IETF-78 Maastricht

2010-05-10 07:07:15
On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:05:52AM +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
On 10 mei 2010, at 5:01, tytso(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu wrote:

I talked to a cab driver in Boston, and he's not very happy with
credit cards, because he was forced to use a new system for credit
cards, and it takes what he considered an unfairly large percentage
when customers pay by credit cards.

And that's why credit cards are so evil. I understand there are
often provisions that sellers can't charge a premium for credit card
payments to make up for the commission so in places where
creditcards are common EVERYONE pays more because of credit card
commissions.

It's worse than the standard "credit card banks charge a percentage".
Apparently the service that provides the TV screen with GPS monitoring
(and which gets revenue from the advertising shown on said TV screen)
is charging substantially more (2x to 3x) than what the percentage
would be if the Taxi cab driver were to use his own bank's credit card
clearing service; but the way the system is set up, he has to use the
one which is installed in his cab.

Anyway, Taxi cabs are a regulated monopoly, so the State gets to set
the rules, but do have some understanding if the taxi cab drivers
growl a bit before accepting the credit card.  (This is at least in
Boston; YMMV in different cities.)

                                                - Ted