Re: Last Call: Policy Statement on the Day Pass Experiment

2010-05-07 12:38:04

On Fri, 7 May 2010, John C Klensin wrote:

Finally, as Dave Crocker pointed out, complexity in our
operating rules rarely serves us well.  Whether the discussion
is about this case or about Nomcom qualifications more
generally, we should not try to do enough hair-splitting to
cover every possible case... if only because we will get it
wrong and then require even more hair-splitting.

That is exactly my point .. differentiating daypass vs full fare
registration is hair splitting over a critera that all seem to think
is weak to begin with.

I still think the right clarification is that for the duration of the
daypass experiment, attending on a day pass is considered equivalent
to attending with a full registration.

The broader discussion in the future should figure out what
characteristics of attendence are meaningful critera to be considered
for nomcom participation. Simple full weak registration is meaningless
as I've already illustrated from my own behavior.

Dave Morris

To be clear .. I reject the proposed IESG statement.