Re: Last Call: Policy Statement on the Day Pass Experiment

2010-05-14 15:26:09
My $.02 worth.

1) For the purposes of the upcoming Nomcom, the decision to not count a day
pass as "attending" is reasonable and timely and within the purview of the IESG
(or for that matter the IETF chair) to decide.

2) The IESG/IAOC can choose whether or not to offer such a day pass as that is
an administrative issue, but the longer and broader discussion on whether or
not a day attendee is an attendee for Nomcom purposes should still happen.

3) The IETF depends upon the revenues generated from IETF attendance and, as a
matter of incentive, there should be a decrease in benefits if there is a
decrease in revenue to the IETF.  In this case, it may also be reasonable to
eliminate "student" attendees as eligible for Nomcom membership.

4) The discussion on whether or not you get enough IETF culture while attending
on a day pass is a rat hole.  I would submit that I (and probably anyone with
more than a 3-4 years or IETF attendence) have accumulated enough culture over
my large number  (73) of meetings that my cultural inculcation would not suffer
by my attending solely on day passes for the next 5 years or so.  It really is
all about trying to avoid providing an incentive for attendees to make a choice
that reduces the IETF's meeting income.

5) If the community decides that day attendees are full attendees for the
purpose of Nomcom, I would recommend that the IESG/IAOC eliminate the day pass
option as a matter of IETF sustainability.

Some additional comments made by others in a discussion between former Nomcom
chairs (I'll let them identify themselves) on this issue:

o My concern with the day pass is that one is unlikely to meet people outside
one's relatively small universe.

o Whether we include day passes or not I suspect isn't going to make _that_
much difference in the grand scheme of things.  Someone whose employer isn't
willing to spring for the full week, and more importantly, be willing to let
the engineer stay for more than single day, is also probably not going to be
supportive in letting said engineer put in the necessary time to serve on
Nomcom....

Mike