Re: The point is to change it: Was: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

2010-06-01 17:13:26
On 1 Jun 2010, at 18:19, ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:
As I've stated previously, I believe the main piece that's missing is a
SOHO-grade router that has full IPv6 support, 6to4 support, full
IPv4/NAT/firewall support, plus a readonably intuitive GUI to administer it
all. If such a product exists I continue to be unaware of it.

I agree.

With the exception (grrrr) of a non-configurable packet filter (besides the NAT
function and per-port-based IPv6), Apple's Airport Extreme and Time Capsule do
IPv6 very nearly out of the box (it was disabled by default because a load of
"Security researchers" took issue with exposing computers to the IPv6 Internet
by default).  In about ten clicks, and assuming your Internet connection is
provided by ethernet to a global IPv4 address, these base stations will set up
and advertise a 6to4 routed block for your network, and handle transparent
v4/v6 DNS from one proxy.  They're supposed to be able to handle custom
tunnels, but bugs prevent it from working; it also works as a native router, a
host on an existing v6 network, and link-local for configuration (no more
slipping/forgotten netmasks).

So all in all, I'm quite pleased with them, and they're the reason I decided
IPv6 was no longer hard for anybody.  No doubt there are others out there, or
should be (IE, from ISPs) and of course there's Teredo or custom protocols if
you want to stay behind an existing legacy NAT.  And of course, if you want to,
you can build your own with a Linux box, though I agree that sort of misses the
deployability aspect, and is more toward the enthusiast, though that's how my
original setup went for my DSL provider.

Cheers,
Sabahattin