Re: The point is to change it: Was: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

2010-06-07 11:02:17
Sounds like you'll need to be looking up market, you're not really
looking for a soho router at the point where you've got multiple
external providers.

Who said anything about multiple external providers? All I'm talking about is
support for a small number of static IPs on a single network interface. Like
you'd need to run, say, a couple of small scale servers. This is NOT high end
in any way, shape, or form.

This device and it's ilk represted the ipv6 functionality availble in a
circa mid to late 2009 home router with a retail price of $100-$150.
They are pretty good devices.

In your opinion, perhaps. But 10 years ago I bought a Sonicwall SOHO router
with all of the capabilities - except IPv6 support - I'm talking about here. I
think it cost around $250. Is it really too much to ask that, 10 years later,
for a comparable device with decent IPv6 support added?

If you're comparing them to a sonic wall tz you're not really comparing
the same class of device. by your own admission the later is inadequate
so I'm not sure why you'd even bring it up.

The Sonicwall TZ 100 is available for $289. The D-link unit you are fond of
lists for around $160, the Airport Extreme for around $179, the Linksys RVS4000
is the cheapie in the group at around $110. Nevertheless, these are hardly in
vastly different price classes.

But let's assume, for the moment, that they are - that the extra $100-$200 is a
really big deal. So what? My point stands - you have yet to identify anything -
even an "upscale" box - that meets my stated criteria where "must be dirt
cheap" was conspicuous by its absence.

                                Ned