Re: The point is to change it: Was: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

2010-06-09 18:46:37
On 06/09/2010 01:19 PM, ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

And so, having no other argument to make, we resort to pejoratives?
Calling small business use of a small number of IPv4 addresses
"anachronistic"
doesn't change the fact that this is a widespread practice fully
supported by
an ample number of reasonable quality router products. And you're not
going to
get IPv6 deployed in such cases without a drop-in replacement that adds
IPv6
support to what's already there.

this is cute ned but your assertion that this device can't route for a
interior public prefix was just plain wrong.

That statement may be wrong, but since (a) I never said any such thing and (b)
AFAICT this is completely disjoint from the issue of supportt for multiple IPv4
addresses and similar IPv4 facilities, I fail to see the relevance.

perhaps you should actually get one and try it?

I don't have to. D-Link has this cute web-based emulator that lets you try out
their stuff without having to buy it. I used this emulator, available at

    http://www.support.dlink.com/emulators/dir825_revB/202NA/login.html

to check and see if this device supports multiple IPv4 addresses and 1:1 NAT.
Unless I'm missing something, it does not. It does have NATPT, but that's not
sufficient.

Feel free to prove me wrong by pointing me at the pages where the support for
multiple IPv4 addresses lives and related firewall capabilities lives.

                                Ned