Re: The point is to change it: Was: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

2010-06-07 09:54:50
Sounds like you'll need to be looking up market, you're not really
looking for a soho router at the point where you've got multiple
external providers.

This device and it's ilk represted the ipv6 functionality availble in a
circa mid to late 2009 home router with a retail price of $100-$150.
They are pretty good devices.

If you're comparing them to a sonic wall tz you're not really comparing
the same class of device. by your own admission the later is inadequate
so I'm not sure why you'd even bring it up.

joel

On 06/06/2010 11:39 AM, Ned Freed wrote:
Alternate email client usage fail. My apologies.

                Ned

(offlist)

On 2010-06-02 07:36, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Ned
Freed<ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com>
wrote:

As I've stated previously, I believe the main piece that's
missing is a
SOHO-grade router that has full IPv6 support, 6to4 support, full
IPv4/NAT/firewall support, plus a readonably intuitive GUI to
administer it
all. If such a product exists I continue to be unaware of it.

                                Ned

That is my conclusion as well.

D-link Dir 825

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DIR-825

real firewall knobs, ipv6 in the gui etc... It think all their
"high-end" home router small business devices are getting features as
they get replaced.

I have one deployed, screenshot is here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joelja/4663980030/

This box may have adequate IPv6 support. (Or it may not - several
people have
raised issues with it's capabilities. Personally, I lack sufficient
operational
experience with IPv6 to know one way or the other.)

But it's severely deficient in terms of IPv4/NAT/firewall
capabilities. In
particular, while it has decent NATPT support, there is no indication
it cannot
handle multiple WAN-side IPv4 addresses and/or 1:1 NAT. The firewall is,
according to several reviews I've seen, inadequate on the IPV6 side.

This puts it in the same category as the Apple Airport line and the
Linksys
RVS4000 - probably adequate for personal home use. But in no way,
shape or form
adequate for SOHO use. I was very clear I was talking about the
latter, not the
former.

now would people please stop on this subject, the manufacturers know
how
to build this stuff.

I'm waiting for an existence proof of the truth of this statement. So
far I
haven't seen one. The closest I've seen so far is the Sonicwall TZ
line, but
while it's very capable on the IPv4/NAT/firewall side of things, it's
IPv6
support appears inadequate - no 6to4, no IPv6 firewall capabilities, etc.

                Ned