Re: IETF 78: getting to/from/around Maastricht

2010-07-16 04:07:29
   Sadly, bahn.de seems to have restricted its scope to Europe. Last week I
   searched for a connection from Oslo to Pyongyang, and bahn.de couldn't
   show me any. I think there are trains from Vladivostok and/or Beijing,
   but they're not in the database.

Yes, once you get into the former Soviet Union, you are in a totally
different rail
transport system and you need to use local sites to get your info, and probably
buy your tickets via local companies who ask you to fax your credit card info
and post you your tickets.

http://www.poezda.net/en/index is a good site for checking schedules
although it doesn't have all the trains on the edge of the former SU.
For instance
it couldn't find the Ukrainian train #401 from Praha (Prague) to Lvov when I
was recently buying tickets for a trip from London to Krivoy Rog, Ukraine.
Also, the station names are in the native languages so Prague is Praha,
but interestingly, they don't use Ukrainian names like Lviv preferring the
Russian name Lvov instead.
Before you buy any tickets, do read up on Russian/ex-SU trains and ticket
types because the typical 1st class/2nd class system does not really apply.

And make sure you really understand what Platskartny means before you
choose that type of sleeper rather than Kupe. In a nutshell, Platskartny
cars are like a barracks with bunkbeds, and Kupe or Spalvagon is a
car full of sleeper compartments.

And Beijing is a major destination for Russian Railways with lots of
regular trains from Moscow, so you definitely could get to IETF Beijing that
way if you have the time to spare.

--Michael Dillon