Re: The anonymity question

2010-07-24 23:43:20
The ability of users to sign up from throwaway accounts doesn't seem to have
been a big problem in practice, but it does make it hard to claim that the
lists are free of submarine patent trolls.

The problem is not hotmail, nor gmail, etc, I use gmail for email
lists because it is convenient and free.

The problem is people and their behavior, with or without hotmail,
after somebody (no pun intended) wrote "Internet for dummies" and
sniffing for ideas & patentable stuff became a practice to make a
quick profit, many lists and other services got plagued with dummies
and trolls.

Once again, there isn't necessarily anything to fix here, but a useful
privacy policy needs to work in our environment where depending on the
context a user can be entirely anonymous (download a web page), fairly well
verified (pay with a credit card), and a lot of points in between.

You don't need to register to download drafts/email archives/rfcs ...
IMHO problem is with people that may try to divert/tweak the process
looking for a potential way of making a buck in the future, if you let
them operate in obscurity by letting them being anonymous.

-J