Re: Ad Hoc BOFs

2010-07-29 15:48:22

On 7/29/2010 10:00 PM, Fred Baker wrote:
If we're going to continue this avalanche of ad hoc meetings that we call
"Bar BOFs", I would recommend that the Secretariat provide a web page for
requesting them. The title of the web page should be "Poorly Planned
Meetings" or something like that.

In other words, let's make unofficial, ad hoc meetings be formal and scheduled.

Fred, like you, I'm delighted to see the activity. However just because there is interest in having formal, scheduled activities that are not qualified to be BOFs, we do not need to have IETF administration support them with extra services. Let's let these self-initiated efforts remain what they are. If they can garner attendees, that's fine. If they can't, better luck next time. Even with the excellent title you suggest, the web page will move these activities down the slippery slope of formality.

The way to make a more rational schedule for the week is to schedule less, not
more.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker