Re: Ad Hoc BOFs

2010-07-29 17:28:36
Fred: I had the same experience -- I guess many of us did. Last night I was at one until 9:20, when I left early to go quickly to another one where I was able to get a little food while we had a meeting. I quit at 11:45 and it was still going. Tonight I managed to get a slice of pizza before heading off to a BarBOF.

But all of the BOFs that I have been at this week have been worthwhile for me. Sometimes there were conflicts and I wished I could cover more than one. Yes there were presentations but presentations are a good way to explain ideas. There is always a lot of technical discussion that can't fit into the IETF schedule. Apparently we are at a point where some of that technical discussion is appropriately done in bigger groups. I wasn't in any huge ones like you -- mine varied from 15 to 50 -- but I was glad to went to all of them.

So I can't complain about the get-togethers of any sort, just that there wasn't enough time for them. I would like to encourage the use of IETF tools to announce ad hoc discussions using good teleconferencing tools, e.g. video, whiteboard, and queue management.