Re: Ad Hoc BOFs

2010-07-30 14:08:12

On Jul 30, 2010, at 7:32 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:

Yoav Nir wrote:
First is people who have an idea they want to present,
but that idea either doesn't fit the charter of any
particular working group (or they don't know about such a
working group), or else said working group's schedule
is too full with existing work.

The way that's traditionally done is with an internet draft.

True.

The implication that there needs to be a session, with a room
and slides and humans sitting in chairs, kind of suggests that
people who want to participate in the IETF have to attend
meetings.  I can see that being the case for administrative
and organizational efforts like nomcom but question whether
that should be true for technical work.

There doesn't need to be, but that is one way to do things. There are hundreds
of drafts posted every week. We all ignore most of them. A short presentation
might get enough people interested to start a discussion on some mailing list.