Re: Ad Hoc BOFs

2010-08-04 15:24:44
On 08/04/2010 15:03 EDT, Melinda Shore wrote:
On Aug 4, 2010, at 6:30 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
I think that, in theory, the IESG has the ability to "solve"
many of these problems by adopting a management doctrine that
groups get meeting resources only if they can justify them on
the basis of posted drafts and active discussion of those drafts
on mailing lists.

I participated (kinda) in this meeting remotely, and it's
really become quite noticeable the extent to which the
work of the IETF is now done in meetings rather than on
mailing lists.  Part of this is that while the audio
streaming has gotten quite excellent, the jabber support
has deteriorated quite badly.  There used to be a few
sessions in which there was no jabber scribing and now it's
more common than not.

When I'm doing meeting notes, I like to focus on the meeting notes and
then do incremental copy/paste dumps of those notes into the jabber
conference whenever I have idle moments.  That way only one person is
required for both meeting notes and "scribing", and you're never without
a jabber scribe (since notes are required).  However, someone else needs
to monitor what's going on in jabber in order to act as a proxy and
relay comments or questions to the group.

While I suppose it's a natural
consequence of the much improved audio quality

I would suspect it's just that people have found jabbering awkward and
with little return all along, so now that the honeymoon is over they're
not bothering.