Re: Ad Hoc BOFs

2010-08-04 14:05:46
On Aug 4, 2010, at 6:30 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
I think that, in theory, the IESG has the ability to "solve"
many of these problems by adopting a management doctrine that
groups get meeting resources only if they can justify them on
the basis of posted drafts and active discussion of those drafts
on mailing lists.

I participated (kinda) in this meeting remotely, and it's
really become quite noticeable the extent to which the
work of the IETF is now done in meetings rather than on
mailing lists.  Part of this is that while the audio
streaming has gotten quite excellent, the jabber support
has deteriorated quite badly.  There used to be a few
sessions in which there was no jabber scribing and now it's
more common than not.  While I suppose it's a natural
consequence of the much improved audio quality it has the
unfortunate side-effect of making it that much more
difficult to comment remotely during the session.  Far
more disturbing, however, was the session in which the
chair looked for volunteers, but limited volunteers to
people physically present.

I wonder if raising the bar on meeting space allocation
by expecting more pre-meeting mailing list activity won't
also have the effect of reversing this trend and making the
IETF function better for people participating remotely.

Melinda