Re: Ad Hoc BOFs

2010-08-03 10:44:40
Or why not go further and reorganize IETF completely on the same lines
as most other standards bodies.

IETF would be split into intensive one or two day working groups in
which the WG was expected to make significant progress on closing out
its issues list.

Wednesday would be set aside for the tutorial / cross area / cross
IETF sessions with the morning set aside for area meetups and the
afternoon for plenaries led by the IAB and IESG. So instead of the WG
sessions being mostly rather boring status updates we could actually
do some useful work.

A small number of working groups could probably be absorbed into an
area-wide 'maintenance' working group. A lot of security working
groups appear to be impossible to shut down because there is always a
need to maintain lists of algorithms and so on. For several years
running I have put S/MIME on my duty list and then found that the
agenda was completed before I had chance to log into the jabber room.

The current scheme appears to have evolved from the days when the
fore-runners of the ADs were the ARPA program managers and the
fore-runner of IETF meetings were essentially status meetings.

If the IESG insists on making itself the critical path on every loop
it is going to find itself over-worked. And lets not forget that the
IETF is handling a progressively smaller portion of Internet Standards
work. Anyone really think that the IETF could cope with also handling
the work done in W3C and OASIS in addition to its current load?

The current scheme has one meeting format that is attempting to
satisfy two objectives that do not seem to me to be very compatible.

We have three meetings a year, we can experiment with one meeting
every few years or so and see if other arrangements meet those needs
better. We don't even need to experiment with a whole meeting. What I
am proposing might well work better for some areas than others and
some working groups than others.

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Dave CROCKER <dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>