Re: Ad Hoc BOFs

2010-08-03 10:42:48
On Jul 30, 2010, at 14:54, Jari Arkko wrote:

people consistently referring to the meetings as "BOFs",

The fix is to call the formal working group formation planning meetings
"working group formation planning meetings", not to stop calling the literal
BoF meetings "BoFs".  A lot of conferences have a good BoF system, with
schedules and all, and these can be very nice informal, productive meetings,
with or without a projector present.  (Providing a scheduling raster for BoFs
so their location and timing is not a poorly plannable overlay to the
secretariat's scheduling might help us, too, but I'm not entirely sure about
that.)

the only real bar BoF that I attended was horrible in terms of being able to
hear what the other people said.

I'm not a native English speaker, and my brain is optimized for symbolic
processing, not for maximum likelihood decoding.  In my 17 years of IETF
experience, almost no real "bar" BoF has been useful for me (i.e., has allowed
me to be useful).  Tabled meeting spaces like the ones we had in Dublin and
here in Maastricht have been most useful for focused point work.  The meeting
room with a round (oval) table arrangement and a projector we had for the
6lowapp "bar" BoF (yes, there was real beer) was great for the 10 minutes of
focus talk and 1 hour of focused discussion that helped define the problem and
ultimately led to the CoRE WG.  Meetings in nice, quiet restaurants have been
great for breaking the ice and subtly making progress at solving political
problems -- if the group wasn't too large for that.  And even the little WG
chair job that yours truly tries to fulfill leaves me exhausted after an IETF
week, and I have no idea how you all in I* survive that week.

Gruesse, Carsten
[still using my backup mail address until certain MTU issues are fixed.]