Re: My comments to the press about RFC 2474

2010-09-03 18:49:45
With respect, Brian, I don't think this is simply the failure of journalists to discern the distinction between Informational RFCs and Standards Track RFCs. Nobody has made the claim that the IETF produced a standard for accounting and billing for QoS or anything else. Informational RFCs are a perfectly fine record of what certain people in the IETF community may be "envisioning" at a given time, as long as people understand that "envisioning" is not the same as "requiring," which is basic English literacy.

This debate was also not started by AT&T throwing the name of IETF in to the regulatory stew as Russ was quoted as saying to CNET's Declan McCullagh. ("We didn't foresee AT&T throwing our name into this discussion," the IETF's Housley said. He added: "This characterization of the IETF standard and the use of the term 'paid prioritization' by AT&T is misleading.")

The immediate debate was started by a letter filed with the FCC by a group called National Organizations on Aug. 2nd addressing DiffServ and IntServ. This letter drew a reply from Free Press invoking the name of IETF and interpreting DiffServ. AT&T's letter offering their view of DiffServ was a reply to the Free Press letter, which said:

"Second, it is nonsensical to portray DiffServ as something that a third-party content provider could pay an ISP to use for paid-prioritization. Either an ISP respects DiffServ flags as outlined by IETF and chosen by the application or they do not -- and if they do not, then it isn’t DiffServ. By way of analogy, an individual customer cannot pay a restaurant to obey the health code -- they either do or they don’t. If an ISP is using DiffServ, but not respecting application flags, then that is not the standard as outlined by the IETF. Similar to how Comcast was improperly using RST packets to block BitTorrent, such a nonstandard use of DiffServ would be entirely new, improper, and not at all in line with that outlined by the IETF."

So there was a chain of "throwings of the name of IETF into this discussion" before AT&T jumped into to it. It would have been pretty damn hard for them to address the arguments that had already been made by Free Press without referring to IETF, so Russ' remark is, well, not very well informed. Perhaps he's not a professional FCC-watcher.

So what we have at the FCC at the moment is a number of people arguing about the meaning of RFCs because they think the RFCs (even the Informational ones) hold the key to understanding the spirit of the Internet. I think this is wonderful, because it's much more productive -- potentially -- than a bunch of law professors invoking end-to-end arguments as the First Commandment, a binding law that bans anything beyond best efforts as far as the eye can see.

I can see how technical people would find this whole process distasteful. Journalists don't understand what they're told, they don't ask the right questions, and they don't repeat the right comments. Regulators are even worse. It's no wonder that Dave Clark used his time addressing the FCC after me at the Harvard hearing on Comcast in 2008 to talk about economics. These are hard questions for the network engineering community to resolve, and even harder for regulators. No doubt about it.

But you can't blame people for trying, and you can't say "go regulate the Internet however you want but keep the IETF's name out of it." That would lead to a result you really don't want to see.

RB

Richard,

This will be my last message on these points, which were beaten to death
in the diffserv WG some years ago.

assured or expedited services, except nobody really knows how that might
actually work in a real scenario (or maybe they do, and it's just us humble
developers who don't.)
I can't speak for those who have implemented EF and AF queuing algorithms;
they will have to speak for themselves.

Am I missing something when I find a gap in the dialog?
I don't see the gap. There are a few references to possible differential
payments in some of the informational documents concerning diffserv, and nobody
denies that differential pricing is possible. There are no elements in the
normative specifications of diffserv that serve in any way to support
accounting, pricing or charging. We can't control what choices the carriers
in one particular country such as the USA adopt; and it's not our business.

The fact that journalists don't read the bit at the beginning of each
RFC that defines its status is something that we've been used to for
many years.

Regards
    Brian