Re: My comments to the press about RFC 2474

2010-09-04 00:06:08
At 3:25 PM -0400 9/3/10, Ofer Inbar wrote:

 I have nowhere else to go, and I think that is
 the typical situation for most households in the US.  Even if the
 industry manages to get it together in terms of making clear what
 level of service they offer, I don't know that there's any way out
 of this conundrun other than legislation.

Internet providers say the high cost of running wire or fibre to the house or neighborhood is prohibitive. Telephone service used to be considered a regulated monopoly, and I have wondered if this model could work with outside plant, as a separate facility from Internet service. The idea being that a regulated or even municipal entity builds and maintains the outside plant, with any Internet provider able to use it to offer service. That way all details of the service are open to competition.

--
Randall Gellens
But, something that only exists in thought is even better, as