Re: My comments to the press about RFC 2474

2010-09-03 14:25:54
Marshall Eubanks <tme(_at_)americafree(_dot_)tv> wrote:
On Sep 2, 2010, at 8:45 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
So in my view the problem here is that when I pay for an X Mb/sec
connection at the moment I have no real way of knowing whether that is
really X Mb/sec all the time or X/n Mb/sec when I am using a service
that competes with my carrier.

This sounds like there is potential for crowd sourcing here.

In my case, I would be willing to pay a bit more to get rid of the
250G bandwidth cap, but not only won't my provider offer that, there's
no other provider available which will offer service to my house that
is comparable at all.  I have nowhere else to go, and I think that is
the typical situation for most households in the US.  Even if the
industry manages to get it together in terms of making clear what
level of service they offer, I don't know that there's any way out
of this conundrun other than legislation.

P.S. My neighborhood is about as far from being a tech backwater as
it is possible to be in the world.  Yet I still have only one viable
option for high speed Internet.  It's a business & law problem, not
a technology problem.
  -- Cos