RE: My comments to the press about RFC 2474

From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Ofer Inbar [cos(_at_)aaaaa(_dot_)org]

P.S. My neighborhood is about as far from being a tech backwater as
it is possible to be in the world.  Yet I still have only one viable
option for high speed Internet.  It's a business & law problem, not
a technology problem.

It's a traditional monopoly problem.  Market-based mechanisms don't work if
there isn't vigorous competition.  The traditional solution is "common carrier"
regulation of "natural monopolies".

At the least, we need to define data carriage as a "common carrier" business,
where the carrier must provide service on a non-discriminatory basis at
published rates.

(Whatever happened to the dream of multiple WiMax providers?)

Dale