RE: My comments to the press about RFC 2474

2010-09-07 10:49:54
This is interesting for many reasons but we should be clear that the
capability to delivery different levels of service priority and bandwidth
to individuals is different from the ability to charge for service
delivered. Legislation about what is fair or equitable should be driven by
the market conditions especially as network costs are very significant
requiring constant investment to maintain customer satisfaction. And of
course we haven't talked much about end to end service delivery yet but I
believe it will happen !

In the UK I see users very willing to pay for differentiated services. This
is quite amazing as a great deal of ISPs use BT's wholesale product where
its not viable to deploy their own. However the differentiated service
plans are still available and the vigorous market conditions drive prices
and as a consumer I change as regularly to get best price vs speed vs
cap.... Personally this is almost worse than having no choice !

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Worley, Dale R (Dale)
Sent: 03 September 2010 14:30
To: Ofer Inbar; IETF
Subject: RE: My comments to the press about RFC 2474

From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Ofer Inbar
[cos(_at_)aaaaa(_dot_)org]

P.S. My neighborhood is about as far from being a tech backwater as
it is possible to be in the world.  Yet I still have only one viable
option for high speed Internet.  It's a business & law problem, not
a technology problem.

It's a traditional monopoly problem.  Market-based mechanisms don't work if
there isn't vigorous competition.  The traditional solution is "common
carrier" regulation of "natural monopolies".

At the least, we need to define data carriage as a "common carrier"
business, where the carrier must provide service on a non-discriminatory
basis at published rates.

(Whatever happened to the dream of multiple WiMax providers?)

Dale