Re: The Evils of Informational RFC's

2010-09-08 11:35:51
Can we please, please, please kill Informational RFC's?

I don't think it makes any sense to do so, the media, and even many in
the networking industry don't even understand the ones that are
standards, why we would expect a right on the money interpretation for
the rest ?

There will be always a gap between the people that generate the news
and the ones that report them. There is not a reliable protocol yet to
transmit what the IETF Chair said and what ended being printed.

The IETF is not an obscure organization that requires a badge or
credentials for participation and that is only focused on creating
"standard" RFCs, if there is a good idea, best practice or an
interesting thought that the community consider useful to put in an
Informational RFC, it really helps to make the process much
transparent, more people will be willing to participate and we keep an
historic record of what worked and what no.

Even the April Fool's which are also informational are part of the
culture and tradition of the IETF ...

My .02
Jorge