RE: what is the problem bis

2010-10-26 11:34:19
I don't think that anyone is claiming that the two-maturity-levels draft solves
every problem. This draft should not discourage you or anyone else from
offering additional proposals to solve the problems that you are mentioning in
your email below.

There are two problems that Russ's draft may very well solve: One issue with
our current system is that there is no incentive to go from Proposed Standard
to Draft Standard (since you are only going from one "intermediate state" short
of full standard to another "intermediate state" also short of full standard).
Another issue is that increasingly each of our standards relies on multiple
other standards, so that RFCs can only move to Draft Standard if multiple other
drafts do also, and it is too much trouble to move multiple drafts all at the
same time.

The downside of Russ's draft is that it is possible that after approving it we
might find that nothing changes: Protocol specifications still stay at Proposed
Standard; The IESG still takes a lot of time in approving a request to publish
a proposed standard RFC. This possible downside seems to be a valid argument
that people should continue to think about other improvements to the system
(and send comments to nomcom on the candidates for IESG positions). However,
this potential possible downside doesn't strike me as a reason to refuse to
make the modest step in the right direction that IMHO is expressed in Russ's
draft.

Ross