Re: Document Action: 'ANSI C12.22, IEEE 1703 and MC12.22 TransportOver IP' to Informational RFC

2010-10-27 10:49:02
Dear Mr. St. Johns,

Respectfully, I think that it is not the purpose of the RFC to state what it is not. The term "all known" cleanly relates to the authors' knowledge of known implementations. Certainly there may be a few implementations that do not follow this RFC, but the same is true nearly for any known Standard. Also the term "several proprietary C12.22 over IP implementations" is rather strong in view of the history of the C12 Standards and the manner in which they are implemented.

Avygdor Moise

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael StJohns" <mstjohns(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net>
To: "Ralph Droms" <rdroms(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>; "Avygdor Moise"
<avy(_at_)fdos(_dot_)ca>
Cc: "Ralph Droms" <rdroms(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>; "Jonathan Brodkin" <jonathan(_dot_)brodkin(_at_)fdos(_dot_)ca>; "IETF Discussion" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; "IESG IESG" <iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 4:24 PM
Subject: Re: Document Action: 'ANSI C12.22, IEEE 1703 and MC12.22 TransportOver IP' to Informational RFC

Hi Ralph -

Exactly what I was getting at. But a slight change in the wording you suggested to make things clear.

Instead as the first paragraph of the abstract or as an RFC editor note I suggest:

"This document is not an official submission on behalf of the ANSI C12.19 and C12.22 working groups. It was created by participants in those groups building on knowledge of several proprietary C12.22 over IP implementations. The content of this document is an expression of a consensus aggregation of those implementations."

This, unlike your formulation, doesn't beg the question of whether or not "existing implementations" and "all known" means "every single one including ones not publicly announced"

Thanks, Mike