RE: [79all] IETF Badge

2010-11-11 08:53:57
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Peter Saint-Andre [stpeter(_at_)stpeter(_dot_)im]
The statement I heard at the plenary was that the local host told us
that we needed to enforce badge checking. I'm not concerned about badge
checking. I'm concerned about the precedent of allowing the local host
to tell us how we run our meetings.

There are 1,000 nuances to this, of course.  But if the local host wants
something that we aren't willing to acquiesce to, we have the right to not
accept them as host , that is, to hold our meeting elsewhere and not take their
sponsorship money.  Personally, I don't see it as an injustice if the host
insists on us enforcing a rule that we have always had but only sporadically
enforced.  OTOH, my impression is that the IETF is not blessed with an
excessive number of potential hosts, so our leverage to dictate to hosts is
limited.

Dale