RE: BCP request: WiFi at High-Tech Meetings

2011-01-03 10:42:12

--On Monday, January 03, 2011 10:49 -0500 "Worley, Dale R
(Dale)" <dworley(_at_)avaya(_dot_)com> wrote:

Whereas the NYT article seems to be describing large rooms
full of journalists and other technology illiterates, many of
whom are trying to send or receive streaming video, sometimes
the video of the presenter they are sitting in front of!

And it seems to me that summarizes a small disconnect we've
developed from the problem that caused the article.

It seems to me that the Times article claims that 802.11 (all
flavors, but especially b/g/n) are designed exclusively for home
use.  I believe that is just false.  They also suggest that
meetings full of "technology illiterates", implicitly using
hotel setups with maybe one higher-powered beacon per room,
don't work very well.

Judging from the discussion on this list, our reaction to the
above is "well duh" and "we (one of the most
technically-sophisticated communities around) know how to solve
these problems and the solutions start with showing up with our
equipment and configuring the network our way and move on to
specialized laptop configurations".

That is very interesting.  It is probably also very irrelevant.

Getting what we do written down and more widely available --as a
BCP or otherwise-- would be, IMO, a good idea, but it would not
help one bit with the problems that, it seems to me, inspired
the NYT article.

It seems to me that the NYT article is something that the WiFi
Forum ought to be addressing, especially if their vendor-members
want to continue to sell products into conference markets.  We
could offer to supply them our notes if they would be helpful
and I'm certain that there are people in our community who could
alert them to the article in the unlikely event that they aren't
thinking about it already.

But, if this discussion is any indication, I don't think there
is much of a role for the IETF itself in the issues and for the
audience to which the NYT article is addressed.

just my opinion,
     john