Re: BCP request: WiFi at High-Tech Meetings

2011-01-03 10:59:56
On 3 jan 2011, at 17.41, John C Klensin wrote:

It seems to me that the Times article claims that 802.11 (all
flavors, but especially b/g/n) are designed exclusively for home
use.  I believe that is just false.

I have definitely not been running wifi networks like the core IETF team, but I
have run a few conferences with more than 1500 participants the last ten years.
And specifically, I did run a conference (the Internet Governance Forum) in
Vilnius in Nov 2010 with 2000+ people and do have "some" experience.

Basically my summary is like this:

1- Anyone that "just" mention the letters instead of the frequency bands and
channel allocation when talking about how good and bad things work has not
really dived into the issues enough (and does not provide enough information
that really helps).

2- 2.4GHz is indeed not usable at large conferences (if you do not have really
skilled people like we have at the IETF), but 5GHz works just fine.

   Patrik