Re: BCP request: WiFi at High-Tech Meetings

2011-01-09 10:45:36
On 1/4/11 10:12 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
The problem there appears to have been the density of MiFi boxes all
offering access and a WiFi stack that crashed in the presence of 500+
access points.

I am not sure that we have experience operating in that zone either.

Of course, had said vendor been more willing to allow tethering on their
phone the MiFi boxes might not have become so popular/necessary.

wifi tethering from a non-dedicated device such a phone has about the
same implications...

being willing to burn more power and do 802.11a would substantially
reduce contention...

The number of cellpohones support 802.11a is quit small, thought with
the ipad doing it probably a number of other vendors with take the hint
on larger devices.

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Yoav Nir <ynir(_at_)checkpoint(_dot_)com
<mailto:ynir(_at_)checkpoint(_dot_)com>> wrote:

    On Jan 4, 2011, at 5:55 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

    > It could be the 11a support.
    >
    > Or it might well be the vendor that supplies the 11a equipment.
    >
    > At home I have a box with 7 defunct WiFi routers that I discarded
    after they started to fail. Specifically the wireless side of the
    router would stop functioning or require rebooting every 24 hours or
    so to keep functioning.

    > Then three years ago I mentioned the problem on this list and
    bought an AirPort Extreme on the advice of several people.

    > It has now been running for three years without issue.
    >

    > I do notice that a significant proportion of laptops used at IETFs
    are produced by one specific vendor. And lets face it, we are the
    type of audience that is quite willing to pay two to three times the
    minimum for a laptop.

    Wouldn't the same be true for media events staged by that same
    specific vendor?  That was the event the NYT article described.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/