Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-04-14 18:23:00
Bob:

The proposed update to BCP 101 permits further delegation of the IAOC voting
position.  While I do not see myself taking advantage of this new feature, I
do think we should give future IETF Chairs this option.  It is a cohesive
part of the work that can be delegated.  Some coordination between the IETF
Chair and the delegate would be necessary, but the time commitment would be
significantly less than participating in the IAOC and a subset of its
committees.

This prompts me to ask a question.  Who would the IETF Chair delegate this
responsibility to?  The draft doesn't specify.

An Area Director is the obvious answer, except from what I understand ADs are
also extremely busy.  This trades one problem for another.  If it is someone
not on the IESG, then this is effectively turning into giving the IESG
another IAOC slot to select.

As a general comment on the draft, I think it needs to be clear as to who the
delegation can be made to and how much authority is delegated.

I think that the delegate would have t be an IESG member, otherwise it the
expected insight would not be provided.

Russ