Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-04-15 10:53:29
Russ,

On 4/14/2011 2:13 PM, Russ Housley wrote:
The proposed update to BCP 101 permits further delegation of the IAOC voting
position.  While I do not see myself taking advantage of this new feature, I do
think we should give future IETF Chairs this option.  It is a cohesive part of
the work that can be delegated.  Some coordination between the IETF Chair and
the delegate would be necessary, but the time commitment would be significantly
less than participating in the IAOC and a subset of its committees.

As SM noted, there is an important difference between delegation and appointment. There also is a difference between having the choice made by the head of the group, versus the entire group.

Having the new person be delegated by the Chair makes that person an agent of the chair and serve at their whim. It's been noted that this is probably the least stable arrangement for continuity of participation. It's difficult to imagine a person working on this basis and having a healthy ability to participate and vote in the IAOC/Trust.

Having the new person be appointed for a period of time and chosen by the group (IAB or IESG) provides a stronger basis for their working independently and with continuity.

Can you clarify the reasons for the choices you made in the proposal?

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking