Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-06

2011-05-06 03:32:22
On Thu May  5 18:31:33 2011, Dave CROCKER wrote:

On 5/5/2011 10:22 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
On balance, whilst I appreciate the aims of this document, I think the proposals
are not suitable for adoption.

1) This document radically lowers the quality of Proposed Standards.

What, specifically, are the parts of the proposal that you believe will lower the quality of a Proposed Standard?

The parts unmentioned in the document, in effect.

It states:

2.1. The First Maturity Level: Proposed Standard

  The stated requirements for Proposed Standard are not changed; they
remain exactly as specified in RFC 2026 [1]. Various influences have
  made publishing a Proposed Standard much harder than the stated
  requirements in RFC 2026.  The intention of the two-tier maturity
  ladder is to restore practice to the requirements for Proposed
  Standard from RFC 2026, and stop performing more scrutiny than
  intended in IETF working groups and the IESG.  No new requirements
  are introduced; no existing published requirements are relaxed.

RFC 2026 essentially defines a PS document as being a first cut, likely to change, and as such unsuitable for production deployment. In particular:

  Implementors should treat Proposed Standards as immature
  specifications.  It is desirable to implement them in order to gain
  experience and to validate, test, and clarify the specification.
  However, since the content of Proposed Standards may be changed if
  problems are found or better solutions are identified, deploying
  implementations of such standards into a disruption-sensitive
  environment is not recommended.

So this clearly states that should we revert to RFC 2026, then we should immediately consider that HTTP, IMAP, and XMPP, for instance, should not be deployed in disruption-sensitive environments. Are you really sure that's what you think our consensus opionion is? It certainly isn't mine.

I don't think this reflects the current status quo in the slightest. I think our current PS maturity is essentially considered production quality, although we anticipate that clarifications in the specification may be required, and consultation with other implementors is likely to be beneficial.

In particular, for better or worse, the wider internet technical community - ie, the people who are aware of, but not involved in, the IETF - expect our PS documents to have high quality, and would be caught unawares by a sudden shift back to this stance.

So to make this clear, I think that as the requirements and scrutiny of PS documents have increased, the quality has as a result, and - undoubtedly more important - the expected quality has also. I am suprised that you don't see this as quite apparent.

We have, in general, raised the bar over the years for PS documents, and - whether or not you think this was a good idea - this horse has left the station, and it's too late to put the lid back on - the wider world now expects this.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net -
xmpp:dwd(_at_)dave(_dot_)cridland(_dot_)net