Re: one data point regarding native IPv6 support

2011-06-13 10:29:17
    > From: Keith Moore <moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com>

    > To be fair, I think the argument is more that "ISP managed" IPv6 is
    > preferred over "IPv6 tunneled by end-users through relay routers ..."

It is exactly this sort of 'mandate it and they will come' thinking that IPv6
has relied on since it was rammed through in 1995, over _15 years_ ago - and
we can all see how well it has worked.

If _running out of IPv4 space_ isn't getting ISPs, etc, to deploy native
IPv6, what will? Making 6to4 historic sure isn't going to add much pressure.

If 6to4 has problems, fine, write a document that says something like '6to4
won't work for a host behind a NAT box because the host won't know it's true
IPv4 global-scope address - so you should also not turn 6to4 on by default'
and fix/publicize the issues.

But thinking that changing the standardization level is going to push ISPs
toward providing native IPv6 - give me a break.

        Noel