Re: one data point regarding native IPv6 support

2011-06-13 08:55:35
----- Original Message -----
From: "Nathaniel Borenstein" <nsb(_at_)guppylake(_dot_)com>
To: "Keith Moore" <moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com>
Cc: "John Levine" <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com>; <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:49 PM

Just for the record:

-- I don't believe that my single experience with first line tech support at
BT says much about BT's broader role, or its relative sophistication and service
quality as an ISP.  For all I know it's the best ISP in the world, and has a
lone bozo at tech support to qualify for a "jobs for bozos" tax credit.  I was
simply relating an experience that I found rather extreme.

In a similar but different vein, I asked BT marketing whether or not they
supported FTP (as in File Transfer Program).  I got escalated to Third line
support before I came across anyone who understood the question.

For me, the underlying point is that for the vast mass of Internet users and
Internet traffic, what we talk about in the IETF is mostly an irrelevance; the
ISPs (and content providers) are responding to the reality of the market.
Coming back to the original issue (should this I-D go forward?) I note that an
individual (and we are all of course participating as individuals), who
co-incidentally has google in his credentials, states that the failings of 6to4
are causing him big support problems.  For me, that is a powerful reason why
this I-D should advance, ideally before 8th June (sigh), regardless of whether
or not anyone can spell 1Pv6.

Tom Petch

-- I do believe that a world in which any tech support person at any major ISP
doesn't know how to spell IP -- whether he's telling you to turn off IPv6 or
not -- is a world in which it is very challenging to expect positive outcomes in
the major technical transition we are trying to effect.

-- I don't believe that I know what to do about it.  I'm almost sorry I
mentioned it -- we still have a long way to go before we need to start worrying
about Grandma configuring IPv6 at home.  -- Nathaniel