Re: RE: one data point regarding native IPv6 support

2011-06-12 20:59:13
On Jun 12, 2011 6:18 PM, "Michel Py"
<michel(_at_)arneill-py(_dot_)sacramento(_dot_)ca(_dot_)us>
wrote:

Michel Py wrote:
If you were to remove 6to4 and 6RD from the
picture, that would set us back 10 years
ago in terms of IPv6 adoption.

Doug Barton wrote:
Can you explain the exact mechanism by which what you're
concerned about will occur? I don't see anything in the
draft which prevents an ISP from deploying 6rd.

There is not. OTOH, I am not aware of any sizeable deployment of 6RD
outside of AS12322; 6RD may not be for everyone, and what making 6to4
historic may prevent is: someone else using 6to4, finding out that there
are some issues, and coining another highly successful 6to4 variant that
would fit their needs better.

The faint promise of yet another transition mechanism is hardly a motivation
to keep 6to4 around.

The data (ripe ...) overwhelming proves default-on 6to4 clients + thinly
deployed relays = unreliable ipv6 and ipv6 deployment obstacle.
Cb

Michel.