Re: one data point regarding native IPv6 support

2011-06-11 15:58:55
Hi! All!

Why don't we run it the opposite way:
-IPv6 by default, else:
-Legacy: just run IPv4 with some kind of NAT.

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 9:54 PM, John Levine <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com> wrote:

If we want IPv6 to be available to the average user, I think it's
fair to assume that the average user won't get past the cluelessness.

The average user is never going to call up and ask "can I get IPv6 as
part of my bundle along with the Home Shopping Network" so the first
level cluelessness doesn't matter.

It's going to be available to the average user when the average cable
or DSL modem autoconfigures itself to offer IPv6, and SLAAC and DHCPv6
work well enough on average consumer PCs and other wifi devices that
they set themselves up without any manual intervention.  You know,
like they do with IPv4.

I realize all these pieces work in theory, and often in practice if
you know what button to tweak.  But Grandma is unlikely to tweak any
network buttons at all.

R's,
John