Re: one data point regarding native IPv6 support

2011-06-13 11:27:16
I've never been able to get first level tech support at my ISP to
understand "latency" or "packet loss".  They only understand "can you
load a web page?"  This does not mean their ISP doesn't provide packet
loss and latency, standard with their service :)

More to the point, when I've been at hotels or conference centers or
similar places and found that I could connect to their wireless
network but not get an IP, it's been rare for their tech support to
recognize the term "DHCP", know what an auto-configured IP looks like,
or even understand the distinction between getting on the local
wireless and having routability to the Internet.  Yet their systems
clearly provide and depend on these things, and always have.  Their
lack of clue says nothing about the level of support for things like
basic IP routing, or DHCP, in hotel and conference center networks.

I wouldn't take what first level support has heard of to be a
systematic indication of anything other than that company's hiring
and training practices for first level support.
  -- Cos