Re: Last Call: <draft-holsten-about-uri-scheme-06.txt> (The 'about' URI scheme) to Proposed Standard

2011-06-16 04:15:15
On 2011-06-16 10:59, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
On 2011-06-15 17:59, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
On 6/15/11 5:07 AM, Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:
The point of this comment is to propose abandoning normalization of
'about' URIs because of some ad hoc behavior of an only application -
Gecko.

No, it's to propose abandoning normalization because it's not
necessarily compatible with existing deployed uses of about:, not
clearly compatible with the web security model, and because the
normalization is not defined in the spec. The Gecko behavior is just an
illustration of the first point.

The purpose of our draft is to give a stable specification of the
scheme

Yes, this is fine.

and normalize all existing types of behavior with regard to
handling 'about' URIs. It will be easier for Gecko to change its
behavior rather than for other apps to do this.

Mykyta, we do need to make this spec document reality, particularly
where implementations are unwilling to make changes. If it doesn't do
that, then the spec is useless. I will be reviewing the options and look
into exactly how other browsers handle these cases, and make appropriate
changes to the spec.

On the other hand, you're trying to define a URI scheme. If it's handling conflicts with the base URI spec, that's a bug. Period. You may *document* that some UAs have this bug, but you can't change it to be not a bug.

Best regards, Julian