Re: [homegate] HOMENET working group proposal

2011-06-30 04:39:12
Fernando,

My point was that, except for the mechanism for PD, I don't see a
substantial difference here that would e.g. prevent this from being
developed for IPv4 (in addition to IPv6). -- Yes, I know we need to
deploy IPv6... but I don't think you can expect people to get rid of
their *working* IPv4 devices... (i.e., not sure why any of this
functionality should be v6-only)

You have to separate IETF specifications and functionality of real-world products. Obviously everyone is going to have IPv4 based home networks for a long time.

But their architecture is largely done and cannot be easily affected. Vendors are now looking into adding IPv6 into their home routers and other devices. I want to be able to show them how to do it right. They can, of course, replicate everything exactly as in IPv4. Much of it is right, of course, but on some areas I think we can do better. This is why the working group should focus on IPv6. If the group is successful, IPv4 network design continues to be what it is, but our recommendations for the IPv6 network design are adopted by vendors' home devices.

Jari