Re: Last Call: <draft-yevstifeyev-ion-report-06.txt> (Report on the Experiment with IETF Operational Notes (IONs)) to Informational RFC

2011-07-12 18:45:20
+1

I also disagree with some of the statements in the proposed text.  I do not
think it is worth the effort to come up with consensus text.

Russ

On Jul 12, 2011, at 6:20 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Mykyta,

I think the draft is fine without this addition, which contains some
statements
that I disagree with. I don't think analysis is needed; this all ancient
history
anyway.

Regards
  Brian

On 2011-07-13 04:50, Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:
Hello,

As Russ agreed to sponsor this document on I-D submission cut-off date,
I did make only some minor changed proposed by him during AD
evaluation.  However I thought the document would be incomplete without
analysis, so after LC I propose to add the following sub-section in the
draft:

3.4. Analysis and Results

  IONs were intended to serve as a means to document issues related to
  procedures used by IETF or other parties, but to be more stable as a
  simple web page and to have a more lightweight procedures for
  approval than Best Current Practice (BCP) or other sort of RFC.  Even
  though such middle-ground approach might be quite useful, it also
  brings a number of complexities and negative effects, which are
  described below.

  First of all, IONs were mainly scoped to IETF procedural questions.
  A number of IONs were published defining procedures used by IETF
  community, such as ion-ad-sponsoring.  However, it should be noted
  that the formal procedure of IONs approval, laid out in RFC 4693
  [RFC4693] did not imply community involvement, unlike one for BCP or
  other IETF Stream RFC.  Even though RFC 4693 intended IONs to cover
  issues not sufficient for documenting in BCP, this regulation was
  often overlooked.  This might have resulted in community non-
  acceptance of such procedures, partial or full, if IONs were adopted
  on the persistent basis.

  Moreover, as IONs were lower in the hierarchy of IETF documents that
  RFCs, published RFCs may override what mentioned in a particular ION
  (whereas a published RFC may change already established procedures),
  which might result in them not being sufficiently followed, creating
  documentation conflicts.

  Several IONS were published that describe the procedures used by IESG
  or its members internally, such as ion-discuss-criteria or ion-tsv-
  alt-cc.  Such material is obviously more appropriate for publication
  as IESG Statements, which are also meant to be quite stable when
  published and are approved at IESG's discretion.

  A number of IONs were published covering different IAOC issues.  Such
  IONs included ion-execd-tasks and ion-subpoena.  However, even though
  IAOC works tightly with IETF, they have an ability to publish such
  material on their site - <http://iaoc.ietf.org/>.

  A one ION - ion-procdocs - was a reference guide to the IWTF Process
  documents.  An other ION - ion-2026-practice - provided the criticism
     and operational experience on RFC 2026 [RFC2026].  Both this
  documents are fine as web pages, since the material contained in it
  might change quickly and often.

  ion-ion-format and ion-ion-store were published for the purpose of
  the IONs series itself and were discarded upon experiment closure.
  They are not analyzed here.

  The aforementioned facts claim that IONs were less useful than the
  equivalent information published in other way, and should be
  abandoned, as proposed by Section 4 of RFC 4693 [RFC4693].

In order not to request the 2nd LC after this text is included, I'd like
to seek community feedback on it during this Last Call.

Thanks,
Mykyta Yevstifeyev