Re: Confidentiality notices on email messages

2011-07-12 18:13:20
Barry,

I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV or the net, so I likely don't understand the situation. As a point of possibly interesting information, once upon a time, at a training session held by a lawyer regarding how to protect confidential information, we were admonished not to slap a "confidential" label on anything automatically or without consideration, because, we were warned, doing so can cause the label to lose meaning for everything. In other words, if we labelled everything "confidential," then we were really saying nothing was confidential.

Ever since, I've wondered if these notices were set up by someone who is a lawyer and does understand the situation, or if they were set up by someone who saw others do it, or heard that this sort of thing was needed.

--
Randall Gellens