Re: Confidentiality notices on email messages

2011-07-13 09:55:11
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 05:39:49PM -0400, Barry Leiba wrote:

"Each Contributor agrees that any statement in a Contribution, whether
generated automatically or otherwise, that states or implies that the
Contribution is confidential or subject to any privilege, can be disregarded
for all purposes, and will be of no force or effect."

Yes, I'm aware of that.  My point was exactly that: that the
confidentiality statement is pointless.

Actually, given the policy, it's _not_ pointless.  It makes the
message "of no force or effect" and causes the participation by that
individual to be disregarded.  Surely nobody wants their contribution
to be disregarded because of a misguided rule on the part of someone
in their firm who doesn't understand the meaning of the words "public
mailing list".

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com