Re: Confidentiality notices on email messages

2011-07-14 08:25:32

On 7/12/2011 2:36 PM, Jorge Contreras wrote:
You may want to refer to Section 5.2 of RFC 5378, which addresses this issue:

"Each Contributor agrees that any statement in a Contribution, whether generated
automatically or otherwise, that states or implies that the Contribution is
confidential or subject to any privilege, can be disregarded for all purposes,
and will be of no force or effect."

Jorge,

It's excellent that the issue was covered in the RFC.

My question is how the contents of that RFC can be binding on random IETF participants?

I doubt many folk even know about the item, even if they know about the RFC and I don't see how they have agreed to those terms.

Has the force of this been tested? That is, when there is a conflict between the conditions imposed by one of these email attachments and the terms in RFC 5378, is there equivalent legal precedent for the RFC to win?

Thanks.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker