RE: Another look at 6to4 (and other IPv6 transition issues)

2011-07-16 22:28:33
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of John C Klensin
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2011 2:02 PM
To: Brian E Carpenter
Cc: v6ops(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; IETF Discussion
Subject: Re: Another look at 6to4 (and other IPv6 transition issues)

Position #2: How the IETF classifies things makes very little
difference in this space because people will follow advice that
seems sensible and ignore everything else.  If so, it makes
little difference how your document is approved or where it is
published.  For example, it could have come through the
Independent Stream or been pushed into CCR.  No problem.  And
the "Historic" effort is a huge waste of the community's time,
no matter how it comes out.

Well, if this is the prevailing opinion, we can certainly simplify our
procedures substantially by eliminating about half of the document states we
maintain now, including reducing the standards track down to a single state.