Re: Drafts Submissions cut-off

2011-08-01 18:28:55
On Aug 1, 2011, at 11:31 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

Over the weekend I attempted to determine the rules for discussion of drafts
at IETF meetings and was surprised to discover that they are not actually
written down anywhere (other than on the meetings page). As a result we
appear to have an anomalous situation in which an author who misses the
cut-off date for ID submissions is in fact entitled to sit on the draft for
two weeks and then submit when the ID queue re-opens.

Another situation, one which happened at this meeting, is that the authors turn
in drafts before the cutoff, in the two weeks of no submissions there are
criticisms of the document that the authors agree to fix, and the authors turn
in the revised draft as soon as the window opens, before the WG actually meets.

I suggest that this is a sub-optimal state of affairs. I see two solutions:

1) Codify the requirement that materials to be discussed at the meeting must
be submitted before the cut-off and that submissions made during meetings are
strictly limited to revisions occurring after and between WG sessions.
[Except in exceptional circumstances with AD approval]

2) Eliminate the 2 week cut off completely.

Or, (3), specify somewhere that the submission window opens at the beginning of
the meeting and allow WG chairs to decide what they want to do about new
drafts. In the case last week, the draft was turned in and posted to the
mailing list on Monday ahead of the meeting on Friday; the chairs seemed to
like that.

--Paul Hoffman