Re: Drafts Submissions cut-off

2011-08-03 08:02:44
On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 08:55:14AM -0400, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

We write everything else down, why not this?

My original objection was to exactly this trend.  I don't believe that
writing everything down is a good idea.  Some things require
judgement, not rules; and if we have moved to the point where we
actually have to use Robert's Rules or some cognate in order to
function because judgement no longer works for this organization, then
I suggest the IETF has outlived its usefulness and ought to be put
down.

I like the submission cut-off because it is a useful forcing function
to get drafts in by a reasonable time before the meeting so that
people can read them.  But I wouldn't argue for it on principled
grounds, and if people really believe we need to do something, I'm in
favour of getting rid of that.  I nevertheless predict that such a
decision will yield less good results than what we have now.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com