Re: Drafts Submissions cut-off

2011-08-02 09:03:28
On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 16:27:55 -0700, Paul Hoffman
<paul(_dot_)hoffman(_at_)vpnc(_dot_)org> said:

PH> Or, (3), specify somewhere that the submission window opens at the
PH> beginning of the meeting and allow WG chairs to decide what they
PH> want to do about new drafts. In the case last week, the draft was
PH> turned in and posted to the mailing list on Monday ahead of the
PH> meeting on Friday; the chairs seemed to like that.

It all comes down to "how to best get information to those that need
it (as fast as possible)".  I too, read the older version of the draft
that being discussed and didn't realize there was a new one because I
rarely get to *all* of my mail during IETF weeks (I'm too busy talking
in the hallways to read email).  That being said, I think forward
progress on drafts are most likely to happen *during* IETF meetings in
hallways and thus it's impossible to enter a WG meeting and assume that
no thinking has changed in the 3 weeks since the last draft was
published.

IE, this has nothing to do with the drafts themselves.  It has to do
with communication of changebars.  In the case where significant changes
have taken place in thinking (documented or not) because of
conversations or work that has commenced since the cut-off date, it
should be the responsibility of the authors to give a quick summary
early in the meeting about recent progress, as it's indeed unfair to
assume everyone in the audience hasn't printed and read everything only
an hour before the meeting and were present in every conversation that
occurred over the cookie table (regardless of whether there were
actually cookies or just crumbs there).  It should also be up to the
chairs to bug the authors about making sure that any recent changes are,
in fact, at least listed or presented in detail depending on what's best
for the meeting.

You can't hold a discussion half the participants have only half the
information.  It doesn't matter who's fault it was.  It only matters
that it's a problem.

--
Wes Hardaker
SPARTA, Inc.